The mission of the Carrollton Area Network is multifold:
- To build a sense of community among neighborhoods and other organizations within and outside the boundaries of CAN.
- To provide the means for the neighborhood organizational leaders to exchange ideas, prioritize projects, propose solutions, and implement plans for the Carrollton area.
- To provide neighborhood organizations an effective communications link with governmental agencies and other civic groups.
- To empower neighborhood organizations to work together and to form a collective, united voice in promoting and improving the Carrollton area.
- To accept changes required to enhance the community's future and vitality while maintaining its distinctive assets and strengths.
- To establish constructive relationships, promote effective communication, and develop positive action plans among all neighborhood organizations within CAN and the mission of CAN.
After Hurricane Katrina, several new neighborhood associations and organizations were formed to help in the planning and repopulation of their neighborhoods. In addition, several neighborhoods along Carrollton that did not flood began to observe that they were left out from the process, and determinations were being made about the city and their neighbors without their input. The pressures of development, code enforcement, and crime in the area had increased. As a result, communications among neighborhood organizations and their leaders began without a formal structure. A forum to discuss the issues and share in their experience lead to the formation of the Carrollton Area Network, or CAN for short. Although it took several months to build the informal forum, the energy and motivation to succeed was very strong.
1. Tree and Landscape Ordinance for Carrollton Avenue - a model for adoption for the reminder of the city.
2. Tree Protection for Carrollton Avenue improvements
3. A crime and security committee to share information and strategies for detering crime
4. Camaraderie committee to foster better relationships among the member neighborhood organizations such as:
* Christmas Caroling at Palmer Park
* Celebration of the return of the Carrollton Avenue streetcar to the end of the line
5. Hold presentations and meetings for the entire area on particular subjects important for all neighborhoods. Meetings held so far include:
* Council President's meeting held quarterly among all the member organizations
* Facilitated crime deterring strategies with the of the 2nd District Police
* Meetings with the city's Department of Streets on improvements for Earhart Blvd.
* Presentations and discussions with city officials on the return of the Carrollton Shopping Center
* Hosted the meetings for the Design Review Committee for Carrollton Avenue
* Hold regular face-to-face meetings with the areas elected officials
* At the request of a member organization, organize discussions to share information and receive advice
The boundaries of the Carrollton Neighborhood Association are defined as the Mississippi River to I-10, and the Jefferson Parish line to Boardway Avenue in New Orleans.
Carrollton Riverbend Neighborhood Association and CRNA - Jerry Speirs
Carrollton United - Jean Fisher
Central Carrollton Association - H. V. Nagendra
Fontainebleau Improvement Association - Terry Walker
Gert Town - John McKnight, site email
Hollygrove Community Development Corporation - Paul Baricos
Hollygrove Neighbors - Carol Dotson, site email
Maple Area Resident's, Inc. - Teddy Martin
Northwest Carrollton Civic Association - Janel Hazlet
Oak Street Association and OSA - Marilyn Kearney
Palmer Park Neighborhood Association - Anne Fuselier (site email)
Pensiontown Neighborhood - Tilman Hardy
Trinity Christian Community - Kevin Brown
Upper Audubon Association - John Lafargue
Uptown Triangle Neighborhood Association - Sheldon Hersh
For other New Orleans neighborhood organizations, visit the Neighborhood Associations page sponsored by the Neighborhoods Partnership Network.
Media Contact: Gary Michael Smith, Publicist
New Orleans Streetcar Resumes All Routes
First Opening of the Carrollton Avenue Tracks Since Hurricane Katrina
New Orleans, LA—The 170-year-old St. Charles streetcar is opening its last line on Carrollton Avenue on June 22, 2008, nearly 3 years since wind from Hurricane Katrina destroyed much of the city’s power infrastructure for this oldest form of New Orleans mass transit. Neighborhoods along Carrollton Avenue from the Mississippi River toward City Park (one of the largest public parks in the country), which forms the “Carrollton Area Network,” plan to celebrate on June 28 for the official public opening of the line with banners, t-shirts, live music, and dignitaries as is the rich tradition of New Orleans culture. This celebration is a collaborative effort among CAN, the Oak Street Association, Pump to the River, the Regional Transit Authority, and the Arts Council of New Orleans.
The streetcar line was a primary source of public transportation for many on the Carrollton route, as it was in the early 1800s. The streetcar originally was a steam railroad connecting the City of Carrollton to New Orleans. With the city expanding between these two towns, the railroad evolved into a horse-drawn streetcar line. It became an electric trolley line in 1893. The cars running now were built in 1924 and are the last conventional trolleys in service. Celebrations begin at St. Charles and Carrollton avenues, and at streetcar stops at other popular streets that intersect Carrollton such as Oak and Willow. Other events are planned at the end of the line at Palmer Park on Claiborne Avenue, which will be having its popular monthly Saturday Art Market. Claiborne Avenue is named in honor of William C. C. Claiborne, the first United States governor of Louisiana.
The Carrollton area is situated approximately 6 miles up the Mississippi River from the original city of New Orleans and formed the westernmost edge of Bienville’s 1719 land grant from the King of France. Initially part of Jefferson Parish, the city of Carrollton was incorporated in 1833 and was the parish seat from 1852 until 1874 when the city was annexed by New Orleans. The circa 1855 Jefferson Parish courthouse still stands on Carrollton Avenue near St. Charles Avenue. The first home in the Carrollton area was constructed in 1835 with additional development spurred on by railroad lines—the precursor to today’s streetcar line—running into New Orleans and out to Lake Pontchartrain. Most of the historic structures were built from 1880 to 1937 as the original city spread northward to include former dairy farms, closing in on the New Basin Canal and the district near current Xavier University.
Carrollton has a heritage of mixed ethnicity with upper class New Orleanians building the first homes as country residences, followed by African-Americans and Irish and Italian immigrants as the area developed. Famous sons and daughters of the Carrollton area include Mahalia Jackson, Allen Toussaint, and Pulitzer Prize winning author John Kennedy Toole. Buddy Bolden regularly performed in Gert Town, and The House of the Rising Sun is reputed to have been located in the Black Pearl. The primary commercial districts stretch along the streetcar route from the Riverbend neighborhood where St. Charles Avenue meets Carrollton Avenue with eclectic shops and restaurants stretching off at Maple and Oak streets.
ORLEANS PARISH SCHOOL BOARD
School Facilities Master Plan Public Review And Comment Period
The School Facilities Master Plan for Orleans Parish is now available for review at the following locations:
• Administrative Office of the Orleans Parish School Board –3520 General de Gaulle Drive, Fifth Floor, Room 5084
• Administrative Offices of the Recovery School District – 1641 Poland Avenue
• On the Web at www.nolapublicshools.net and www.nops.k12.la.us
New Orleans Public Libraries:
• The Main Branch Louisiana Division, 219 Loyola Ave.
• Einstein Charter School Branch, 5100 Cannes Street
• Algiers Regional Branch, 3014 Holiday Drive
• Martin Luther King Branch, 1611 Caffin Ave.
• Nix Branch, 1401 S. Carrolton Ave.
• Alvar Branch, 913 Alvar Street
Public Hearing Schedule and Adopted Timeline:
September 3, 2008
10:00 a.m. Public Hearing
City Council Chambers
(Co-sponsored by City Council Education Committee)
September 18, 2008
5:30 p.m. Public Hearing
Mc Donogh #35- 1331 Kerelec Street
September 20, 2008
Public Comment period closes.
September 22, 2008-October 16, 2008
Comments and recommendations for adoption completed
October 21, 2008
OPSB asked to adopt the SFMPOP with appropriated recommendations.
October 23, 2008
BESE asked to adopt the SFMPOP as adopted (with appropriate recommendations) by OPSB.
Public Comments, Suggestions and/or Questions should be emailed to: email@example.com
Copies of the Master Plan can be ordered and purchased through Lettermen's Printing, 504-821-9997
See Jerry Speir's recent letter to the editor in the Times-Picayune regarding the Orleans Parish School Board's Master Plan. For additional information, see the original article.